Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The First Few Days...

So much has happened since my last post, I don't even know where to begin.  Not having access to the blog the first couple of days threw my plans to blog each day as a record for Jack out the window.  Even, finally having access, I have been so tired that I just haven't had the energy to write.  I think my body has finally adjusted itself, not to mention the good night sleep Jack allowed me to have last night!
 
We arrived in Urumqi on Saturday early in the morning.  It's a very beautiful hotel but the room is very small! 
 




 
 
Later Saturday morning we met our guide and we went for a walk around the area.  We searched and searched for a Bank of China to exchange our Canadian funds but none were open on the weekend.  I have never seen SO many banks in my life...I think there is a different one on every corner.  After having a nap, we met Thomas again and he took us to a local market where they sell many different things...foods, clothing, purses, coats etc...  It's one of those markets where people "attack" you to buy something and you bargain down the prices.


 
On Sunday Thomas took us to a beautiful park that was once a water mill.  It had a "Montreal Beaver Lake" kind of feel.  It was really beautiful.  There was a large Buddhist temple at the top that we were allowed to go up to, where people were bowing before these statues believing that the statues will answer their prayers.  Oh how my heart hurt.







This is called a "Lovers Tree"... apparently it looks like a man and woman with their arms around each other.
 
 
On Sunday night we went out for supper around the corner.  The restaurant was freezing!  Our guide ordered for us.  It was d-e-l-I-c-I-o-u-s!!!  There are many Muslims in this region and the food we ate was very much like Indian food.  Spicy, saucy, potatoes and lamb, served with rice.  Oh would Jon have loved that!!!!
 
On a side note...having been to Vietnam before, nothing shocks me anymore.  Things are done a lot different in these countries and you just gotta roll with it!  Driving is most "civilized" here compared to the Philippines and Vietnam.  They actually have speed monitors on the streets so drivers do get tickets.  There is definitely still some insanity to it -- people walking across main highways, drivers driving down the white lines on the street, driving on the shoulder of the roads, drivers entering and exiting where and when they want on highways etc...  Dad has a new found appreciation for Montreal driving and parking!  Even slabs of raw meat hanging out on the street corners doesn't even phase me LOL!
 
Monday morning was the big day...

No comments:

Post a Comment